Intellectual property (IP) has emerged as a key driver in knowledge economy. In the present scenario, IPR awareness is the key to technological innovations and in the emerging knowledge-based economy; the awareness among the creators of information and knowledge about IPR has become essential in the digital environment because in the digital environment it is becoming difficult to prove rights violation whenever they occur. This paper gives an overview of intellectual property rights (IPR) issues & challenges in digital environment and the paper deals with the copyright law as well as the role of librarians in the protection of copyright literature. Study also focused on patrons need towards understanding IPR laws in using library services without infringement. With the advancement of technology, Intellectual Property Rights have added new dimensions and there is a strong need for awareness and understanding on Intellectual Property Rights for library patrons.
Firdous Maqbool Mir, “Intellectual Property Rights Issues and Challenges of Academic Libraries in Digital Environment”, International Journal Of Computer Engineering In Research Trends, 3(12):639-644-,December-2016.
Keywords : : Intellectual Property Rights, IPR, Digital Technology, Copyright.
1. Copyright Office. (2016). About Copyright Government of India. Retrieved November 17th,2016 from
2. Dolli, Manoj. (2012). Intellectual property rights: Regulations and trends in India. International Journal of Engineering Research, 3(12), 15-27 Retrieved November 15th , 2016 from
3. Malwad,N.M &Anjanappa,M.(1994). IPR in digital environment: Issues of concern to library community. Retrieved November 20th , 2016 from
4. Kannan, N. (2010). Importance of Intellectual property rights. International Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, 1(1), 1-5 Retrieved November 16th ,2016 from
5. Kore, Sayali. C, Jadhav, Shital.T, Kadam, Amruta. S & Chavan, S. ushila. D. (2015). Introduction to Intellectual Property Right. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology,5(4), 222-230.Retrieved November 16th,2016 from
6. Sinha, Abhijeet & Bhardwaj, R.K. (2010). Digital Libraries and Intellectual Property Rights. International Conference on Digital Libraries. Retrieved November 15th , 2016 from
7. Rachchh, Manish.A.(2013). Module I- Basics of IPR; Gujarat Technological University. Retrieved November 15th ,2016 from
8. Sinha, Abhijeet & Bhardwaj, R.K. (2010). Digital Libraries and Intellectual Property Rights. International Conference on Digital Libraries. Retrieved November 15th , 2016 from https://rajkbhardwaj.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/art-9.pdf
We have kept IJCERT is a free peer-reviewed scientific journal to endorse conservation. We have not put up a paywall to readers, and we do not charge for publishing. But running a monthly journal costs is a lot. While we do have some associates, we still need support to keep the journal flourishing. If our readers help fund it, our future will be more secure.